Friday 16 March 2012

The Devil Inside

In Italy, a woman becomes involved in a series of unauthorized exorcisms during her mission to discover what happened to her mother, who allegedly murdered three people during her own exorcism - (IMDb)

Finally, after delaying the UK release date twice, I was able to see the movie today and to be honest, I was a tad dissapointed. After all the hype they had made I was genuinly looking forward to seeing it and after, I just felt let down. The film revolves around how a young woman travels to Italy to find out what actually happened to her mother when an exorcism was performed on her over 20 years ago and to also find out if she was actually possessed.
First, the length of the film was questionable; 83 mins? Seriously? I'm not saying I was expecting an Avatar length or The Lord of the Rings but 83 mins is like sitting down and watching about 3 Family Guy episodes back to back. The length wasn't the major concern. I felt that the film was more shocking and graphic than scary. I left the cinema a tad disturbed by some scenes within the film. Thats a good thing though, I mean the film was meant to be shocking other wise there wouldnt be a point to any of the film.
There were moments when it seemed that nothing at all was actually happening and that the characters were just chatting to the camera, however, this was all full of useful information. When the scares started, you certainly knew about it. Watching a girl dislocate her shoulder and then start bleeding from her... well... you know what region isn't at all lovely to watch.
The main character, Issabella, was actually quite good. Her performance was believable its rare in these type of films that we see an actual believable character.
The question I was left asking was 'how much of that film was actually based on true events?' it seemed they had heard of this woman killing three people and thought 'now theres a film'. Its a shame becuase i really wanted this film to be excellent and it was just average. It doesn't shine a light on the paranormal Activity films. The good thing about the film was the actors as in fairness, they were the best part of the film. I was just happy no cults were brought into it.
I have mixed feelings about the film as when it ended I just wanted more. There was a particular moment when I was left with my hand on my mouth as I was so shocked with the scene presented before me. How they got away with it I have no idea.
I would say that if you like an occasional scare then go see The Devil Inside, if you are in a nervous disposition then please, don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment