Wednesday 27 June 2012

Linkin Park - Living Things

Track Listing:
1). Lost In The Echo
2). In My Remains
3). Burn It Down
4). Lies Greed Misery
5). I’ll Be Gone
6). Castle Of Glass
7). Victimized
8). Roads Untraveled
9). Skin To Bone
10). Until It Breaks
11). Tinfoil
12). Powerless
Linkin Park return with an impressive 5th studio album that has been said to be the best since the debut Hybrid Theory in 2000. Though, It doesn’t seem long ago that Linkin Park were releasing ‘A Thousand Suns’, an album that would change the face of Linkin Park and many fans. Living Things provides another direction for Linkin Park. When first hearing the record, I couldn’t help but think that they had literally sat down, pulled out Hybrid Theory and just listened and analysed it. ‘Lost In The Echo’ was a starting point. The point being that this is STILL Linkin Park. A Thousand Suns seemed to take something from Linkin Park, I personally thought it was a mighty album that deserved more praise. Not many bands would have the balls to do what Linkin Park did. With ‘Lost In The Echo’ having the classic LP riffs and Bennington’s screaming, it is a fitting introduction to the album. ‘In My Remains’ is a lovely follower. Harmonies from Shinoda and Bennington bring in that Minutes to Midnight feel before leading us into first single ‘Burn It Down’. The catchy introduction which is essentially Linkin Park steers the song into a great headbobber.

Living Things has received mixed reviews which seem to be leading fans into a sense that Linkin Park aren’t the band they once were. I have an eye for anything, and as much as I love a band I can always express what I think works and what doesn’t. Living Things is brilliant in my eyes. As I’ve said, the album takes you back 12 years to Hybrid Theory but at the same time brings you back to 2012 wheer music has developed. My personal favourite ‘Lies Greed Misery’ has it all. It’s as sexy as Rooney Mara’s pierced nipples in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. ‘I’ll Be Gone’ and ‘Castle of Glass’ both include terrific vocals from Bennington with additional vocals from Shinoda who seems to have done a lot with this record. Being co-producer alongside Rick Rubin, Shinoda is a great visionary who can see when something is right or wrong. What can I say about ‘Victimized’? Even if you have no desire of listening to the record, this 1:46 track won’t take much of your time. If you like a little of LP then go listen. Shinoda starts the sing with a nice verse before Bennington shrieks down the mic ‘VICTIMIZED NEVER AGAIN VICTIMIZED’. An outstanding track that deserves a lot of praise.
Without going off on one, the rest of the album seems to calm down and musically is terrific. ‘Roads Untravelled’ is a lovely addition before the incredibly catchy ‘Skin to Bone’. My least favourite track ‘Until It Breaks’ still has me thinking to myself after every listen. The song starts oddly and continues until about half way when the song picks up. I love the ending to the song but cant see why the song couldn’t have started the same as the end. The final track ‘Powerless’ (which features in the latest Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie) is a wonderful way to end. Gives the sense that there is still more to come from Linkin Park. ‘Powerless’ is just a typical and terrific Linkin Park track. Starts off slow before ending triumphantly.

Living Things is a great addition to Linkin Park’s discography. I’ll always love LP’s earlier material but what they’ve given us now is more produced and generic. It’s a great listen and a huge step for music in general. Living Things provides the Linkin Park fans everything they’ve ever done within 40 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment