Tuesday 9 April 2013

Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll

Its been 4 long years since we were blessed with a Fall Out Boy record (excluding the greatest hits) and it seems the wait was one that was worth every minute as they comeback with this little belter entitled 'Save Rock and Roll'.
I can't help but admire the band and what they have done withis album. With last album 'Folie a Deux' getting a mixed reception due to the bands 'change', this album was always going to have the doubters doubting again. But I take my hats off to the FOB gang as the new album is, in a word, excellent. With the release of 'My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up', we were giving some indication of where this album was going. This song is my jam, it is undoubtably catchy which was followed by second single 'The Phoenix' which again was a masisve belter that made me want this album so much more. The whole beat and rhythm of the song is incredible and Patrick Stump's lyrics are of course genius.
That's both tracks 1 & 2 done already, now was the big part, track 3, the decider on whether this album is going to be a hit or a miss. 'Alone Together' is a track that either you like straight away or after 2 or 3 listens you get in to it, either way you'll love it. 'Where Did the Party Go' starts with a lovely and tasty bass riff that is enough to bob your head to and then it just brings in a funky and loveable rhythm that is melow but when the chorus comes in, you wish you had a drink in your hand shouting back the lyrics 'well the boys are smoking menthols and the girls are getting back rubs'. 'Just One Yesterday' starts like Adele's Rolling In The Deep with its drum beat but with the help of Foxes, the harmonies in the chorus are breathtaking. This song is definitely a stand out track on the album, possible 3rd single? 'The Mighty Fall' is the track that I found most different on the album, but also puts Save Rock and Roll in a new type of genre. With lyrics/rapping from Big Sean, this track is good but its not my favourite on the alnum, I love the chorus but the rapping isn't the best, in my opinion anyways. 'Miss Missing You' belongs in the 80's. The synth in this track is something that you'd expect in some cheesy American film that involves a guy riding a motorbike with a beautiful female wrapped around him. Love this track.
'Death Valley' - my least favourite on the album but I'm still listening to it. Its good but theres something stopping me enjoying it. It has the Save Rock and Roll vibe but it didnt hit me as much as the other tracks. Now, my favourite track on the album 'Young Volcanoes' which is definitely my summer song. A nice bretaher for the album. The verses are brill, the chorus is fantastic, theres nothing to not like about this song it's just something else, it also shows that there is still the sense of the 'old' Fall Out Boy. 'Rat a Tat' features guest vocals from Courtney Love, I heard this and at first felt it sounded like a B-Side that just got put on the album, however, the song has grown on me so much. The chant 'rat a tat tat rat a tat tat' is catchy and Stump and Love's vocals together just sound right.
Then theres the brilliant finale. 'Save Rock and Roll' featuring the one and only Elton bloody John! Yes thats right, the keyboard warrior that he is on the new Fall Out Boy album. This is such a powerful ending to the album. It's just right, it includes one of my favourite lyrics from the album 'you are what you love, not who loves you'. Elton John brings in the ballad feeling and the song just goes higher and higher in OOOOMPH. So much emotion and passion is in this song which to me is the heart of this record. The whole record is full of this passion and desire that FOB have put in to show that they are a band of many talents and that they love taking risks. This album could've easily flopped, without a question, but they have created an exceelent piece of work that to me makes this the best Fall Out Boy record to date. If you get a moment just listen to either 'Young Volcanoes' or 'Save Rock and Roll' these for me are the 2 stand out tracks.

4 year hiatus? bitch please.

No comments:

Post a Comment